You are the key to the health of Lake Champlain.
While it may sometimes seem that the actions of one person will not make a lot of difference, the little things we do each day can collectively have a huge impact in protecting clean water in the lake.
Simple actions you can take include:
- Install a rain barrel to hold water from your roof during large rain storms.
- Plant a rain garden to absorb runoff and filter pollutants.
- Disconnect your downspout from the storm drain and redirect it to the lawn.
- Wash your car on the lawn instead of the driveway to prevent detergents from running into waterways.
- Plant vegetation along shorelines and riverbanks to hold soil in place and reduce erosion.